Tomorrow starts a brand new month, and with it Jesse and I are starting a new challenge. You are welcome to join us in the challenge. We will be sharing our progress throughout the month.
My challenge is a month without sweets, and keeping a food log.
Jesse’s challenge is to complete daily core strengthening exercises.
Why did we select these challenges?
1. I have been eating (and craving) sweets much more than usual lately. While I do believe that healthy lifestyles should include indulgences, having high quantities of sweets can create addictions and cravings. When you limit your intake of processed sweets full of refined sugars you re-set your taste buds so that natural sugars (like fruit) becomes sweeter and more satisfying.
2. Keeping a food log makes you more aware of what you are putting into your body, and portion sizes. Also, when you have to write down (or even better, take photos) of all of your meals it’s an extra incentive to make healthy choices.
1. Core strengthening is imperative for maintaining proper form as a runner. This is especially true for long distances, as form tends to disintegrate as you get tired.
2. Jesse says “I want my abs to look good. Especially during swimming season.” He’s sick of people saying “I’m 29, it’s not possible to have abs anymore.”
3. “I want to be as attractive as I can to my wife.” (awwww! He has already succeeded there.)
For the next month we will be sharing our progress with these challenges (along with our normal workouts!) If you are joining us let us know how your progress is going!
Starting tomorrow you can expect to see a daily update of my food log. I will be aiming for around 1800 calories (more if it’s a more intense workout day). Nutrition fuels your body, so along the way I will be paying attention to how I feel throughout the day and during my workouts.
Each day Jesse will be completing one of my shorter ab workouts, or selecting exercises that work each muscle group in the core. We will share his workout/exercises each day, as well as his progress and how he feels it is impacting his running time.
Feel free to post comments or recipes along the way, either here of on my facebook page: www.facebook.com/MelissaBenderFitness