Tartlets Make a Delicious and Healthy Snack!
Thanksgiving can be a hard time to make healthy choices! The celebration can cause anyone to err on the side of excess. This is one example of a healthy appetizer or dessert option. Instead of having a slice of every type of pie, why not make Tartlets so you can try several things without going overboard?
To make the shell you cut a refridgerated pie crust in 3-inch rounds. Loosely place the circles into mini muffin cups. Back at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Allow shells to cool before filling. They can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can fill these with anything that you want. In the picture above I filled some with Hummus and raw broccoli. Other appetizer options include:
1. A cherry tomato, fresh spinach, and and a light olive oil dressing.
2. Guacamole with fresh diced tomatos.
3. Shrimp with a dab of cocktail sauce.
4. Sliced red grapes, and diced baked chicken. (feta cheese also makes a nice addition).
5. Mix and match some of your favorite diced/sliced veggies.
6. Hummus and fresh veggies of your choice.
Dessert (or appetizer) options:
1. Plain or lowfat vanilla yogurt topped with fruit. In the picture above I used fresh sliced raspberries, diced green apples baked with cinnamon, and sliced red grapes. My husband prefered the vanilla yogurt, I liked the tartness the plain yogurt adds. I added sliced almonds to some of the tartlets as well.
2. Chocolate pudding topped with the fruit of your choice. (Each cup gets less than a teaspoon of chocolate pudding).
3. Lowfat cinnamon honey nut cream cheese with fresh sliced red grapes.
4. Sliced pear and pear preserves.
5. Mixed fresh fruit.
6. Take whatever large pie fillings you normally use, and offer bite sized versions of your holiday favorites. This can allow people to sample without going overboard.
I got this idea from Better Homes and Garden’s magazine, and modified it with some of my own ideas. If you have any recipes to share be sure to leave a comment below!
One thought on “Healthy Tartlet Recipe: Dessert, Appetizer, Delicious!”
Instead of using pie crust, use phyllo dough which is lower in calorie and can be adjusted for thickness